Chef Keith Hoare has been involved in the foodservice industry for over 35 years; including teaching for the past 15 years at Thistletown C.I., Chef Keith has also won various teaching and industry awards including the Toronto Star ‘Teacher of the Year’ Award, Restaurants Canada National Leadership Award in 2020 and most recently, the Culinary Federation of Canada ‘Chef of the Year’ for 2022.
Other career highlights include :
-lead a team of Chefs to create over 50 000 meals for shelters and food banks since Mid-March of 2020, worked with community partners to rescue and redistribute tons of food to those in need
-started an in-school food bank for students
-raised over $430,000 for school projects including: international culinary trips for his students (Italy, Spain, & France), and resurrecting Thistletown’s Football program in 2008
-created an annual food festival event in the school’s organic garden with leading Toronto Chefs and Culinary colleges to help fund-raise for International travel
– offers practical hospitality experience to his students through entrepreneurial projects (catering, food festivals, producing preserves and pickles)
– mentored countless students to medal wins at: the National, Provincial and Regional Skills Canada competitions, the Niagara College High-school cook off competitions and the Georgian College High school competitions.
– mentored two of his culinary students to win on Chopped Canada Teen tournament (Yohannes Asres & Justice Chea)
– engages his students in events to support local charities: Youth without Shelter, Anishnawbe Toronto Health Centre and Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter
– competed and won Chopped Canada (2015) donated the $10000 prize to student’s trip to Spain & France
–before embarking on his teaching career was the owner and operator of ‘Keith’s Gourmet’ catering company